The template for the Offshore Old Scheme is available to download here.
In order to further improve the integrity of the application process and to prevent cases of fraud, The Nautical Institute requires additional documentation, in the form of a testimonial letter from shipping companies, to be submitted with every application.
This letter must match the following criteria:
· Contain information based upon the vessel deck logs, DP logs and internal DP information. The company should only provide letters when they can confirm the actual DP time completed and not only time on board the vessel. The confirmation letter is a second check on the time completed and if required, should be able to provide evidence to The Nautical Institute to prove that the time was on DP.
· Be written by the shipping company on original company headed paper, which must also include the company contact details; a direct email address for the signatory, is very helpful as it enables us to contact them easily if further verification is required.
· Company logos must be of a high resolution and appear clear. Letters received with logos that appear pixelated and/or blurry will not be accepted by The Nautical Institute;
· Signed and stamped by the Operations Manager, Marine Superintendent or other position directly involved with the operations of the vessel with their full name. (Letters signed by Masters, Agency staff and HR personnel are not acceptable). Signatures and stamps must be ink originals, not digital scans.
· Contain the full job title of the signatory. (Not abbreviated)
· Dated (the letter should be written and therefore dated, only once the DPO has achieved the necessary experience).
· State that the applicant has trained/worked as a DPO on board the vessel(s) listed.
· The following information must be included for each sea time entry: Vessel name, GRT, IMO number, DP class, trip dates (from and to), total days on DP, DPO’s rank and dates on DP.
· Confirm the total time the applicant has performed as a DP operator on board the vessel(s). This must also include the seagoing familiarisation period;
· Total Days on DP and Dates on DP must only include actual DP time served on board the vessel(s). Time on leave/attending courses, or not involved in DP operations must not be included. Each entry in the letter must be broken down and listed as individual trips.
· Limited DPO certificate holders upgrading to Full certificates only need to provide confirmation of DP watchkeeping time gained after their Limited certificates were issued;
· Sea time experience, not covered by a letter will not be considered for the DP application unless the candidate can prove extenuating reasons.
When the requested confirmation letter has been obtained, please include the original with your application documents and send them by courier to The Nautical Institute; (photocopies and emailed scans of letters cannot be accepted).
Applications with confirmation letters not meeting with the above requirements will be subject to delay.
Note: this letter does not replace the entries, signatures and stamps in the logbook, which needs to be sent along with this document to The Nautical Institute.